A few of the things I've noticed about India that may be of interest:
1. The ads in my Yahoo Mail page are not for E-Harmony or other dating services. They are for E-Matrimony sites.
2. NOBODY wears shorts. It's 110 degrees farenheit outside, and everybody is wearing pants or saris.
3. The kids at the Delhi Public School, which is just down the street from our apartment, play a bunch of different sports in their time off, most notably cricket and badminton. The DPS facilities are surprisingly nice, and we can use them for free.
4. Bathroom etiquette is quite different here. I won't go into the details.
5. There is no set price for anything.
6. While every Indian I have worked with has been incredibly competent and efficient, many of the facilities and institutions (the Delhi airport, the driving/bathroom habits, etc.) are remarkably inefficient.
7. With FEW exceptions, there is little public affection between men and women. Not evening holding hands. Apparently this is looked down on. That is the single biggest difference between India and say...Brazil. Men, on the other hand, hold hands with and caress the shoulders of other men in public, and this is totally acceptable. We're talking about straight men. Now I don't have any problems with this, it's just a little different than what I'm used to.
There are more on the way...
Dorothy and the Dinosaur (4.2.26)
2 hours ago
No comments:
Post a Comment